Sunday, September 27, 2009

Social Media Revolution

There are certain things that I really get jazzed about that others could care less about.  Most people hate Favre - I'm still a fan.  Friends and family are still using Hotmail and Yahoo - Gmail is the best.  And U2 is still the best band on the planet.

While I'm aware that my personality leans towards passion and action, I know that not everyone gets as excited as I do about certain things in life.  But some things are worthy of more attention than people give me credit for.  My career choice is to be an exercise professional.  While you may not view it as important as I do, and though you may not talk about it as much as I do, you should still do something about it.  Your health, livelihood, and quality of life depend on it.  And that's independent from me - it's just a fact.

In the same way, I don't see too many of my friends and family getting excited about Social Media (blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube).  But that doesn't mean it doesn't affect them.  Because if it doesn't now, it sure will in the future.  Many of my friends have ditched email and now message each other through Facebook.  I've been able to keep friends and family informed with my life and being a husband and father through Facebook updates and photo albums that I can share.  You can't do that with email.  I've learned to not only find information from the web but share the relevant stuff publicly with Facebook, Twitter, and my blog.  News and information is so much more personal when it's shared this way.

As you can see I'm still trying to find my voice on this.  While I may not communicate it as effectively as I'd like, the beauty of computers and the internet is sometimes I don't have to.  I came across this YouTube video last week from a friend I follow on Twitter.

I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts about Social Media after watching this clip.  It goes fast, so you may want to keep your hand on the pause button.

No comments: