Thursday, April 08, 2010

Some Reading Material

One of my biggest frustrations is not being able to find time to read all the good stuff I come across on a daily basis.  First, of course, are the books I have going.  As I mentioned back in December, my reading list is long.  Currently I'm getting back into Principle of the Path so I can get a family book club blog back up and running again.  I've also started to read Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer.  But as I mentioned earlier in the week, the GRE has been my main text for the last few weeks.

So there's the books, but then there's the internet.  Critics will have a field day with this, but Twitter has put a huge burden on my reading list.  I follow some pretty smart and compelling people on Twitter - you should too.  And I don't want to hear that you don't have time b/c it's as much or as little as you make it.  Sure, I'm kind of complaining about Twitter adding to my reading list.  But I'd rather take time to sort through the stuff than not be connected like I am.  Anyway, Twitter feeds me with articles about blogging, fitness, news, and leadership which I all find completely fascinating.

What about you?  What are you reading?  Do you have a regular source for keeping up with the world or your personal interests?  Of course I'd recommend finding some interesting people on Twitter.  Tell me your interests and I'll try to point you towards some smart people.

Blogs are also great for finding good stories.  Recently I came across two great posts I want to share with you.  The first is from Spence Smith who works for Compassion International and has a great blog.  This article is called Leaders Who Blog Engage Their Audience is a great argument for why leaders should blog and the influence they can experience.  Look around Spence's website for other articles -  I read him every week.

If blogging and leadership aren't your thing I've got a compelling story for you.  Katie found this blog from a friend of hers and I'll give you three guarantees: (1) you will see beautiful photography and excellent writing, (2) it's a long read (3) you will thank me for pointing you to this when you're done.  If it doesn't affect you, check your pulse.  Enjoy the story of Nella.

Most of my readers know I'm really into social media - blogging, Twitter, Facebook.  The whole point of social media is to be social.  So I'm sharing what I'm reading.

Do you have anything to share with me?

No comments: