Thursday, April 15, 2010

Creating a Fitness Routine Part 5 - Putting it all together

I hope you've enjoyed my series on creating a fitness routine.  I truly hope you've learned something or taken some time to reflect on your exercise routine or habits and have been able to implement something from this series.

Here's where we've been with the J2K Challenge.  We've all failed at fitness at one time or another (or even more times than not).  So the challenge is to identify those shortcomings and move forward - failure will lead to success.

After we critiqued our failures, we compiled some goals, but not just any goal - S.M.A.R.T. goals.  Then we discussed how we'd keep ourselves organized.  I wrote about keeping good records and gave some examples of different ways to monitor your workouts, mostly online.

From there we realized people were starting to implement their new exercise program but the inevitable always shows up - distractions and changes in the schedule.  So we talked about making adjustments to your plan so that you can stay on track and move towards your goals.

Have you noticed that I haven't talked about exercises specifically?  There's a couple reasons for this.

  1. I'm establishing a framework for a fitness routine before I discuss the details.
  2. I have to establish an audience before I get into specific exercise recommendations.  
  3. I didn't know quite what to expect with a series and I've used this as a learning experience.
Now as I write this, I'm already a week past my self-imposed deadline for finishing this series.  If it seems like it's coming to an abrupt end, that's because it is.  But the story is not over.

I'll be taking feedback from this series and launching a new series within a week.  Of course most of you know Katie and I are expecting our second baby any day now.  So depending on that arrival and our sleep patterns (or lack thereof) you can look forward to that series.  

Please give me your feedback in the comments below.  Bloggers relay very heavily on those comments.  Also, if you feel like you know someone who would benefit from or enjoy this information, please subscribe their email to my list.  Just kidding (it wouldn't work anyway).  But seriously, if you would be so kind as to pass this blog on to a couple people I'd enjoy the additional conversations.  Thanks.

So to put it all together, I encourage you to do just that - read over the 5-part series which will take you about 15 minutes.  Reflect on some of the things I've talked about and make a plan for yourself.  If you're interested in some personal training or some accountability, I'm available in the comments section.  Post your email and we'll go from there.

Thanks for joining me in the J2K Challenge.  Get outside, be fit, and join me for the next series on the specific components of an exercise program.

2 comments:

Dr. Felicia said...

I am excited to set some goals. I just think I might need help on this. I have already lost all the weight I want, but now what can be my goal? It would be super fun to run a marathon, but not sure how to get into that. :)

Hans Schiefelbein said...

Felicia - we can certainly work on some goals for you. Maybe a marathon, maybe another race. We'll talk on Facebook.