Sunday, January 24, 2010

What I Learned From the Haiti Challenge

This Haiti Challenge has been a mini-series on The Game Plan.  I've really enjoyed it and it's made me think of the project from many different angles.

It helped people: 10 days ago this money hadn't been given.  The need arose, people responded, and money was donated.  People benefited from our work.

Teamwork wins:  I'm very proud of the fact that my efforts in combination with the efforts of my team produced more dollars than would have been donated with just one person. Some would have donated anyway, some donated after reading the Challenge.  We formed a team.

Not everyone will join:  My biggest frustration and learning moment is that not everyone will join the cause, as good and as necessary as it may be.  I admitted in my first post of this series that,
It's too easy to pass up opportunities to help.  I've done it so many times in the past.
I knew only a small percentage of my friends on Facebook and the blog would respond.  My blog has a small readership, and I know I have exactly 416 friends of Facebook.  But I honestly thought I could get at least 20-30 people to donate $5 or $10.  This honestly baffles me.  Maybe it shouldn't b/c I've passed on other similar opportunities to give.  It's leaving a sour taste in my mouth, so I'm done digitally processing this thought.

(Alright, tt's still pissing me off)

People appreciate a good story:  I thoroughly enjoy researching a topic and presenting it to my readers and friends.  This story of course was a global disaster, but I took it and organized a sub-story for people to join.  If I'm frustrated with those who didn't join, I'm equally joyful with those who did.  They joined my story. 

Social Media will be a platform for really good things:  Not everyone is into Twitter and Facebook.  I hope they will see how quickly good information and stories can spread if we get involved in networks that are so viral.  And texting generated so much money.  Technology can be such a powerful tool.

Every cause needs a champion:  I'm not saying I championed this Haiti cause, but I moved towards it.  For 7 days I was a leader for a really good cause.  This disaster will pass, recovery will happen.  In the big picture this is a small story.  Serious but small.  What are the bigger stories?  What stories need to be told?  What stories need a champion?  How has God gifted you or given you experiences that have drawn you towards a cause or problem that needs to be solved?

I'm not going to go back and delete that point about my frustration with those who didn't join.  I know many may read it and be turned off by my harsh words, but I can live with that.  My frustration is equally directed at myself b/c in years past I haven't put my money where my heart was.  Hypocrite?  No.  I'm learning and I'm growing.  I'm willing to challenge people to excellence even if I can't always produce it myself.  I want to be in the game and leading myself and those I love towards goals that are bigger than ourselves.

Jack wrote his check to World Vision on Friday.  I wrote my checks this morning - $45 each to World Vision, Compassion, and Red Cross.  Thanks for reading about this Haiti Challenge.  Let's continue to do good things and cheer each other on to greatness.

No comments: