Friday, January 29, 2010

Training Log: I Use DailyMile.com

After three seasons of running, it looks like this summer will be an off-season for me.  I've really enjoyed the different challenges of each race.  But Katie and I are expecting our second child this April and that means our household will be busier than ever.  Time for training will be hard to come by, so I'm planning on a much lighter exercise routine.

But as a personal trainer I have come to find great joy in helping others experience success and a healthier lifestyle.  I've promoted this lifestyle and these runs (half and full marathons) and a few members of our extended family have taken the challenge and joined me in these different races.  This season I'm focusing on two of these people, Jess and her dad Kevin.  Jess is the finance of Katie's brother Grant.  Kevin is her dad.

I've found a great website that will be helping us stay in contact with our workouts.  It's called DailyMile and it's free!  If you use Facebook you'll see the similarities.  Once you create a profile (which you can link to Facebook) you find other friends who join your News Feed.  When your friends post a workout or make a comment ("note") it shows up in your News Feed under "You and Friends." 

I am really impressed with the way technology is allowing us to create community in the exercise and fitness industry.  Sure, it can get overwhelming.  But with a little discipline and initiative it's possible to start a couple accounts on social networks and create some community as you get fit.

No comments: