Friday, October 02, 2009

Race Week

I am very excited to be at the final training week for the Milwaukee Marathon this Sunday. It is my third marathon, my second this year. I did Madison Marathon for the first time in 2007 and finished in 4:04. Last May I did Madison again and met my goal of going under 4 hours - I finished in 3:59. And now I've completed my training for this marathon on the heels of my Madison marathon, so the two consecutive training programs is making me very excited to see "how fast" I can go on Sunday.

Training is so motivational for me. I've made many updates on Facebook and Twitter this summer as I've processed my runs and the training program. It's been great to see how much stronger my body has gotten from all the miles I've logged. Are you aware of the capabilities of the human body? I'm not saying everyone should run marathons. But what might it be for you? Your first 5K? A run/walk. A brisk bike ride around the lake? What could you train for that would require some time and effort, but you think is possible in 8 weeks of training?

So this week I'm resting and looking back on my first two marathons - how my splits were and what my heart rate was over the course of the run. My friend Tom Moore says that marathons start after mile 20 - and I agree. It's the last six miles that are really what you train for, especially after your first marathon. In May I basically ran two different runs - my first 18 miles were great and my last 8 went downhill. So I'm starting to develop strategy for having more in the tank at the end.

If you're interested in following me on Sunday, you can watch my Twitter feed which my sister will be updating.

No comments: