Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How to Read 47 Blogs Per Day

Technology is progressing such that we no longer have to search out information or news:  it comes to us.  Each day we check email, Facebook, our favorite news sites, and maybe some blogs.  Is that accurate?  How do you spend your time online?  How do you get your information?

Would it surprise you that I read 47 blogs per day?  Would you believe that on average I catch up on my news in less than 20 minutes?  This includes 47 blogs and about 150 Twitter updates per day!

How is it possible?

Well if you look over my shoulder as I sit in my office, you'd see that I'm not reading every post or every update.  That's probably obvious.  But with the help of Google Reader I can look through the titles of every post and even the first few paragraphs to determine if it's something I should read in its entirety.  We all do this with the paper or our favorite magazines.  The beautiful part of this is that I'm sorting through blogs that interest me and news sources that I've chosen to subscribe to.


Here's how it works:  Go to Google Reader and set up an account.  (If you already have a Gmail or Blogger account you can use the same login and password).  On the left you will see all your subscription.  Now you need to fill them.  Open a separate tab (tell me you're using Firefox) and go to a blog you'd like to follow.  For example here's Sorin's.  When you visit a website or blog that updates their information on a regular basis, they're assigned an RSS feed and the icon looks like this.  What you need to do is click this button and then "subscribe to RSS" and it will take you to a page where you can "add to Google Homepage" or "add to Google Reader."  Choose the Reader. 

You've just subscribed to your first blog - and a good one at that!!  Start finding some good blogs to follow, then progress to websites and news feeds.  You'll be surprised what's out there.  If you need more help I'd be happy to walk through more details with you. 

Remember:  Make the technology work for you.  You don't need to visit each website or blog, it will come to you!  Are you interested in the Health Section of the NYTimes.com or the Business Section of FoxNews?  You can have these websites come to your Google Reader rather than visit them every day.  You'll never go back.

No comments: