Friday, February 13, 2009

Favre Retirement - Part 2

I'm in the minority on the Brett Favre story - I think he is the best thing to happen to the NFL in 20 years. I think he still should be treated as such. I wish he would have kept his legacy in Green Bay, but what can a guy do when he's not wanted anymore and dumbass front office people want to prepare for the future?

Was going to New York a mistake? Sure l0oks like it. I still can't blame the guy. Living in his shoes for 17 years, I guess he felt like he couldn't do wrong - so he goes for Year 18 as the gambling player that made him great. Boy, I still wish it was Green Bay for life for Brett. Once a Packer, always a Packer. Just too good to be true.





So this week he tells the Jets he's done. And so begins (for the Brett faithful) the nails-against-the-chalkboard sounds. It's a painful sound. It's a feeling in your gut that something isn't right. It's Brett Favre announcing his departure from the NFL - and we all say, "I heard that last year."

I realize Brett has brought this upon himself. Am I too forgiving? Am I too much a homer? The man became a starter in the NFL... and never sat down!! He NEVER sat down!!!!! He brought life to Green Bay and pride to the Packers that we won't see again in my lifetime. He drove you up a wall with ridiculous interceptions! But his attitude towards the game of football is a throw-back to when the game was fun and serious at the same time - but it wasn't about the individual. Do you see that anywhere else in the league? That attitude has left the NFL, maybe never to return.

No comments: