Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Common Thread of Competition

Last week our family was on vacation up in Reinlander, Wisconsin.  For the second year in a row we attended Family Camp #1 at Fort Wilderness.  I'll be writing about that experience this weekend, but right now I want to talk about a recurring discussion I was having all week: training.

When training conversations came up, I could feel an interesting vibe and buzz.  Maybe it's because I'm a fitness guy and that topic gets me jazzed.  But I think it's more than that.  It wasn't community because it was a bunch of conversations I had with individuals.  Still, being the common denominator in all of them I can't help but recognize the theme. 

Here's some of the stories I heard: one was doing her first marathon after just completing her first triathlon.  Another is doing her first marathon after realizing she signed up for the full instead of the half.  Another was asking me about doing her first 10K or even half marathon, but she's chosen to run around her hometown lake - no small feat, it's 17 miles!  One woman just got done with P90X and she and I were discussing the pros and cons of the training and what's next for her. 

When the topic of training was brought up, I certainly perked up and took extra notice.  Maybe that was part of the reason I was feeling a vibe each time.  But even if that was the case, there's no disputing our mutual excitement to talk about training.

If exercise and training evokes such positive conversations, why?  My guess is that each person feels a sense of empowerment and pride.  Their fitness is a challenge.  You don't hear people talking about their trip to the gym and the great treadmill work they did or the additional set they got through on their bench press.  But training for a marathon?  Now there's a lively discussion.

What about you?  Are you training for anything?  Katie and I are signed up for the Chicago half marathon in September.  I've got a bunch of friends doing other races and competitions this fall.  Would you be intrested in training for your first 5K?  10K?  Sprint triathon?

Or maybe you're just working out to get in shape.  That's cool, and great work! 

Feel free to comment below if you'd like to join our community of athletes?

No comments: