Monday, January 19, 2009

Presidential Transition

I can't say that I'm a history buff, but I do enjoy learning about certain aspects of our past. And I get sentimental about big changes of the guard. Yesterday I started reflecting on the last eight years and the leadership of President Bush. Reading some of his material and speeches is fascinating. I've found a few items that may be of interest. I highly encourage people to look over whitehouse.gov for other articles.

This is Bush's farewell address and added details (video).

Here you can selected speeches of Bush, including his first address to the White House staff in January 2001.

The following publications are also available:
A Charge Kept
Highlights of Accomplishments and Results of the Administration
100 Things Americans May Not Know About the Bush Administration


I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about people in Wyoming who didn't necessarily like Bush. But they have begun to appreciate his leadership and respected him for his efforts. They also mentioned Oklahoma, and the fact that not one district voted for Obama. Yet they are beginning to stand behind him because he is our next President, and "that's just what you do - support your President."

I understand the need for our two political parties. And I'm don't believe compromise is always good - debate is great, and politically it helps define America. But the "way right" and the "way left" are very frustrating to me. I don't think the majority of Americans are on polarizing ends of the spectrum, so our leaders shouldn't be a reflection of such. Liberal, conservative, moderate - all Americans should stand behind their President and give him their full support. Disagree until the cows come home. Voice your opinion and write your Senator (something I'll do this year for the first time). Speak up and contribute to good, honest debate. At the end of the day, America is so privileged to have the freedoms it does - for that we thank our Armed Forces. And when we think about sitting behind the desk in the Oval Office, we can't begin to imagine the duty, responsibility, pressure, and intelligence it takes to make those decisions daily.

It's a day of Presidential transition. I conclude with a segment from President George W. Bush's final address to the nation:
Like all who have held this office before me, I have experienced setbacks. There are things I would do differently if given the chance. Yet I’ve always acted with the best interests of our country in mind. I have followed my conscience and done what I thought was right. You may not agree with some of the tough decisions I have made. But I hope you can agree that I was willing to make the tough decisions.
America is a young country, full of vitality, constantly growing and renewing itself. And even in the toughest times, we lift our eyes to the broad horizon ahead. I have confidence in the promise of America because I know the character of our people.
It has been the privilege of a lifetime to serve as your President. There have been good days and tough days. But every day I have been inspired by the greatness of our country, and uplifted by the goodness of our people. I have been blessed to represent this nation we love. And I will always be honored to carry a title that means more to me than any other – citizen of the United States of America.

No comments: