Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Summer Olympics

I have fond memories of my first Olympics in 1988 - it was the first Games where I was paying attention and knew a little bit about what was going on. I'm sure these Games contributed to my patriotism.

The Olympics of 2008 bring a hype I haven't seen in years. Most would say the Olympics have lost the glory it once owned. And marketing the Games has addressed this, including the NY Times talking about how much the viewing audience and network coverage has increased each year. It's almost like they were telling us we're supposed to be watching this.

Well this year Michael Phelps truly gives us a reason to watch. The headlines are intriguing: Phelps could become the most decorated Olympian of all time. And as I write this, he's just broke his 4th and 5th world records, so that would mean 5 golds in 5 events. Michael Phelps is the winningest Olympic athlete ever -- ever. That's a story.

No comments: