There's two reasons I love summer softball:
1. I love playing sports and so that's great for my soul.
2. I really value time with the guys and look forward to seeing them in that context.
One of our players, outfielder Andy Dalton makes the 10th inning at the Dane something to look forward to by presenting weekly awards for great and not-so-great plays from the game. Well he took his awards to the next level by awarding season-long accomplishments. Here's what he came up with:
- The official Foul Ball Policeman Award – Tim Schiefelbein (don’t even get close to a foul ball on the 2nd strike if you know what is good for you)
- The Most Improved Player Award – Matt Cranney (he now knows which way to run on the bases)
- The Best Homer Umpire Call of the year Award – Garrick (Joel Dreier’s foot did come off first base!)
- The Most Sustained Injury Award – Jeff Miles (we all knew it the moment we saw it happen, that ankle didn’t even have a chance)
- The Best Slide of the Year Award – Joel Hassenzahl (or should I say Pete Rose)
- The Funniest Base Run of the Year Award – Matt McCallum (I would have given him a 10 if he would have kept his toes pointed on the summersault into home plate)
- The Best Batting Average of the year Award – Kevin Weidkamp (Total guess on my part, but on our team it always helps to miss a few games to help out your average)
- Most Likely to Fight His Own Teammate Award – Stan Petrie (When Cranney took him out running back to 1st base after already being forced at 2nd; actually in Stan’s defense he never got mad at all)
- Most Likely to never hit the ball to the Left Fielder – Rob Farrand (Until last night that is)
- Best Base Sliding Rash/Burn/Cut of the year Award – Greg Fisher (I think more of his leg was red the next day than not)
- Ugliest Catch of the year Award – Andy Dalton (Underhanded granny catch running in from Left Center; but I got it)
- 10th Inning attendace Award – Hans Schiefelbein (Most coveted award of the year; for his efforts Hans received 2 club level tickets to the game of his choice for the remainder of the Brewer’s season this year) Let that be a lesson to all of you for next year!!!!
The Awards and Toast Specialist, Andy Dalton
"The Gambler" Kevin picks Stan's credit card out of the hat during the Card Game. He smiles in disgust b/c his card was the only one left, so he paid our last bill at the Great Dane.
Team Photo - Summer 2006